Thursday, April 29, 2010

Some people don't agree but I love helping out

So today is a day off of school. I'm going to volunteer like I have almost every day I don't have class. I'm going to volunteer at this program for teen parents. We provide childcare for the teens so that they can continue to go to school and get their diploma. MANY people in the area don't agree with the program because they say it encourages teens to get pregnant. And although sometimes I feel like we almost help them too much, they take us for granted, I love going to help out. I am a baby freak haha I just love to cuddle them and play with them, so it works out in my favor. C and I cannot have kids right now since we are only 21 and 22 and living countries apart. Also being with babies alot has helped me realize the amount of work they are. So I'm ready to wait a while. Sadly the program has lost ALL of it's funding and most likely will not be around next year. This town is so conservative they refused to teach about contraception other than 'oh this is a condom, you can use it' during one health class. There are currently FORTY!!! pregnant or parenting teens in this one High School. It is so frustrating that the town wants to pretend like there is no problem, and not teach more about safe sex or keep the program going. Being said that there are forty teens that could benefit from the program, the last 4 years we have only been able to provide care for at most 15, so I don' t believe kids are saying oh we can get pregnant because of the program, we only provide help during school and they still need to find childcare for work, and money to support the children. It's just all a mess, I wish there was more that could be done. Personally my main focus is the babies. We make sure they are developing appropriately, being taken to the doctor, eating right, and being loved. Who knows how the babies of the teens who are not in the program are doing, but these babies are awesome. I just love going into the nursery and loving on them. A baby can't have too much love :) It's going to be strange when I'm in grad school in the fall and cannot go there to escape.

I have no idea why I decided to post this, but I love those babies....

No comments:

Post a Comment